Sunday, May 8, 2011

The Big Boy Bed

So a little someone was days away from going over the top of the crib and braking his face. He is all bout climbing these days, as several post testify. He is really Mr. Gross motor skills. But he truly has no concept of the impending impact. So since we just watched him go from playing beside caballo, to struggling to mount caballo, to successfully riding caballo, to completely launching himself over caballo in a weeks time; we decided it was time to take action.

With his knee mere centimeters from the top of the crib and his excited spring loaded mattress bouncing the impending signs were there. So Friday after dinner, Mama removed the front of the crib.

Oh the endless and unbridled joy of climbing in and out of the toddler bed. Laughter floated through the house as the repeated entering and exiting of the bed continued for over an hour. After our usual walk and bath before bed, however things changed. It was like the toddler bed was a place of horror. Psychotic screams permeated every corner of the house. I was unable to put him down because he was clinging so tightly.

I tried sitting beside the crib but he insisted on being on top of me. So I lay on the floor with him ontop of me screaming and unable to calm down for 20+ minutes. Every time I changed positions the cycle started over. It was like he was having a mental break down. I eventually gave in and put the face back on the crib.

We did some research on bed transitions. And talked to him about his big boy bed several times Saturday. Then Sunday morning Papa removed the front of the crib again. August took a brief morning nap with Papa near by. Mama failed with an afternoon nap but succeeded at bedtime. It only took an hour. With very few tears and no screaming. He read his books and spent a bunch of time checking to make sure I was still there.

By no means are we calling the transition complete but it appears that we are on our way. Go big boy bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment